Tonight I took Max to his first basketball game. Carmel High School Boys Basketball. I was pumping him up all week for this event. I was super excited too. The last time I went to a high school boys basketball game...well that was when I was in high school I think (actually I went to a game a few years back when my cousin Ben was coaching during a championship game down here in Indy). But regardless, knowing the following that Carmel football has, I was expecting a packed gymnasium and crazy fans like I saw when the football team played in the State Finals at Lucas Oil Stadium. However, when we walked in during the JV game I was very surprised at a few things:
- Smaller gym than NorthWood High School
- Hardly any fans (more did arrive by Varsity tip off, but still not even 50% capacity)
- Didn't appear to be reserved seating for season ticket holders
- Only about 100 students in the student body. Might have been more band members than student body even
Now, maybe because it was over 15 years ago my memory made things bigger than they actually were in high school, but I just figured a school the size of Carmel would have a huge following and a bigger gym. But it could just be that the impact and importance of high school athletics (really football and basketball, because Lord knows nobody came to watch me pole vault!) had in northern Indiana communities isn't a standard for all of Indiana. I guess I just assumed that people all over the state packed up their kids and attended these sporting events on Friday and Saturday nights. That's what I always did and I loved it.
Tina didn't share in my surprise when I told her all this when I got home. She basically just said 'Yeah, I always thought your parents were weird for going to high school games". Oh.
Well regardless, Max actually really enjoyed it. It was probably just the fact that he had most of the popcorn and he knew that he was staying up "late". Several times I was ready to go and he wanted to stay until the end. He knew when to clap and cheer, got to see a dunk, but I'm sad to say for him, he did show signs of grandma Patty-type outbursts as the ball was heaved across the court a couple times. You know what I am talking about if you've ever seen my mother at a game.
Nevertheless, even though I might be weird to apparently most people around this area, I would like going to these games to become a tradition for me and my boys. We really had a great time and it's a cheap activity that's exciting and safe. And Max already asked if we can go to the next game!
Peace out!
6 comments:
All I'm going to say is "I'm glad Max enjoyed the game." Mom
Really enjoyed your post. Laughed outloud when I got to the Grandma Patty part!! I agree with you, high school basketball isn't what it was when you and our boys were in school. Fred and I haven't even been to one game this year! Can't get used to having games during the week. I'm glad you and Max had a good time.
Love to you all.
Barb
I think the difference you experienced is urban vs rural. Great love for b-ball starts with some good ole barnball. At small schools these boys loved the game so much they spent their summers perfecting their game and became a unique band of brothers. Which in turn made the community love to watch them love what they were doing and their excitement for each other at each success. Keep taking Max and point out the important lesson that comes from being a team player and good sport.
Theres just nothing like good ole' panther pride Michael... nothing.
btw...I laughed out loud a couple times reading this... funny post!
Michael, I loved the post and also had to LOL... but I think it is a wonderful tradition for you to start with your boys. And who knows.. with your ability to be an activity director, maybe it will catch on for others in your community. =o)
Looking forward to seeing you and yours hopefully soon!!
It's been ages since I've checked your blog...January and February were crazy. And now we're getting ready to travel and we STILL have not made it to your house to greet baby Bryce!
Enjoyed reading back through the posts I'd missed. What a precious family! ;) Looking forward to seeing you all sometime soon.
Take care. Love, Nene
Post a Comment