Monday, September 24, 2012

A day with Bryce

I was really looking forward to spending some one on one time with Bryce today while Lila and Max were both in school.  I thought we could bake some coffee cake, read some books, play with cars, whatever.  After the cake making we went to the basement. As soon as we were there Bryce informed me he needed some alone time and told me to go upstairs and shut the door behind me.  So much for some quality time!  Mommy gets no love.  So far Bryce is still not loving school.  He still cries every time I leave him and it just breaks my heart.  Hopefully it will get better.  He does talk about his buddy Hank from school, so hopefully he is having fun.  His teachers tell me he does after I leave.  There's no question Lila is having a great time at school.  It's funny b/c I can ask her one question and she is off telling me about EVERYTHING that happened at school.  In contrast I can ask Max about a thousand questions and I barely get a response.  I guess that's boys.

                                    

 Here are just a couple of random pictures of our backyard after school.  Almost everyday we have about 5 - 10 kids in our backyard just playing random games.  I'm thankful we live in a neighborhood where all of the kids would rather play outside than play video games.  I think Max has an awful lot of homework everyday, or at least things he is supposed to do for a kindergartner.  He has one minor assignment a day, then he is supposed to practice reading and play math games on the computer.  It depends how in depth we get but this can take about an hour.  I really want him to understand what he is doing on the computer so we work on adding and subtracting as we go rather than just playing the games.  But it is a challenge to keep up with everything and also to make sure Bryce and Lila are getting the attention and teaching they deserve too.



3 comments:

Barb Snyder said...

Bryce wants alone time? That cracks me up! At least he did baking with you:)

I would love to hear Lila chat about her day at school. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can picture her being very animated as she relates about her day at school.

Does Max enjoy doing homework? He seems so inquisitive and wants to learn, but sometimes homework can be a drag or "busy" work. How much time to the teachers want for homework?

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Blessings to all of you.

Tina said...

Max likes doing homework most of the time. He usually has a class assignment that takes about 10 minutes. Then we practice reading a book every day and math. His school does math online so it's a computer game that helps them with their math skills. His teacher promised a prize for the most time spent on the math games so that is a huge motivator for Max. He also loves to play games on the computer, since I didn't let him do that until he was in Kindergarten he thinks he is pretty big.

Anonymous said...

And yes, Barb, Lila is very animated when telling us about her day. She can't stand still and typically doesn't pause for us to have a chance to ask questions.

Michael