Sunday, April 11, 2010

Way to go Max!!

After about 4 short lessons over the past couple weeks, Max is officially riding his bike without his training wheels. And he loves it! He can't get enough. He can do all the necessary turning and can even stop by himself without falling over. The only thing we are still working on is the starting.
It was such a gorgeous day today that a lot of our neighbors were out and everyone was cheering as he rode by...especially 4 year old Ruby and 5 year old Carlye...two of his favorite girls in the neighborhood. They are both still on training wheels, so I think it probably made his day (though he would never admit it). I was a proud daddy though. When he really wants to learn something, he asks to practice, tries very hard, and listens to the instructions I give. What more could you ask for in a student! I really do think that he is just searching for things to learn and skills to acquire right now. It's very hard to keep him entertained all day and he's not one that can go too long on his own imagination and self-play. I think always having the most attention of any of the kids plays into that and he is struggling somewhat to all of the sudden not be getting near what he got even 1 year ago. Lila as a baby was pretty much perfectly content just hanging on Tina's hip from 2 to about 10 months. Which gave Max most of our time still. But with Lila at 22 months and Bryce at 3 months, things have definitely changed...and both Max and Lila let us know in their own ways when they aren't getting the attention they want. And lookout if you are around when that perfect storm hits when all 3 decide it's their time!

It is just so nice that spring is finally here. The kids just love the outdoors so much. Even if it's just watching the big kids play...Or having a picnic up at the lake...Or watching a thunderstorm while having some delicious summertime milkshakes. They got their shakes because I had a craving for a McDonald's Frappe. Have you had those yet? My gosh, they are the best thing ever! Pretty sure Lila thinks milkshakes are the best thing ever. Her lips do not leave the straw and she is done long before Max.
We have been putting Bryce in the Bumbo a bit lately. He gets stronger each time and seems to like it a lot more than tummy time.
Max is a question generating machine right now. My gosh, I just can't enjoy peace and quiet around they guy. He has to know everything! It's a good thing I know, but sometimes you just want to hear Jim Nance's commentary while watching the only 15 mins of Master's coverage that you get to see. He can sit still about as long as he can go without talking...about 3 seconds in most situations not involving people outside our family.

And Lila...Yeah, I am pretty much a sucker with her. She gives me that look and pretty much gets exactly what she wants. But that also means that I have a way of diffusing that little ticking time-bomb fairly easily. In most situations I can have her laughing hysterically while the tears are still rolling down her face. Nevertheless it amazes me how different Max and Lila's personalities are. Yet in some ways so similar. I can't wait to see how Bryce fits into the mix.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, I love the pics! Hurray for Max learning to ride his bike!

Michael, I think you and Tina could both be writers. You do a great job of describing what your kids are doing and what you think they're going through emotionally. You guys are good parents and have a lot of insight.

I know it takes time, but keep the updates coming.

Love you all,
Barb

The Sophisticated Country Girl said...

Congratulations Max! Tatum started riding her bike about a month ago and we are still having trouble "getting started".... Before you know it, it will be time to move on to the dirt bike...and then you will want one and then Lila will want one and before you know it, Tina will want one too! (if she's anywhere close to as crazy as I am....at least that is how it is goin in my family right now).... Love the post!

judy said...

Love the posts and pictures.
Always a day brightner!!!!

Michael said...

Tina will NOT ever even be a passenger on a motorcycle /dirt bike...let alone ride it by herself. Oh and pretty sure she will fight ever letting the rest of us ride them either!